The United Reformed Church in Twyford was founded in 1796 as a result of evangelism in villages around Reading by the minister and members of the former Broad Street Congregational Church. The present building dates from 1897 and the adjacent hall from 1935, with extensions added in the 1960s and 1970s.
URC Twyford is the only Free Church in a wide geographical area and can claim to be the oldest church in Twyford village, as the Church of England only founded a church in the then still small village in the mid nineteenth century.
URC Twyford is joined with the Anglican parish of St Mary the Virgin, Twyford, and St James the Great, Ruscombe, in a Local Ecumenical Partnership. This means their ministers work as a team together with a youth worker and are able to take services in all three churches.
The church office is located at St Mary’s Twyford, which is also the first point of contact for the other parish in the Anglican benefice: St Nicholas Hurst.
A shared website gives full details of the history, mission, vision values and activities of all four churches. The website community is THRU-Christ, the name formed from the initial letters of Twyford, Hurst and Ruscombe and the U for the United Reformed Church.