The Bell dates back to the 14th century and was bequeathed to the village in 1608 by stationer Sir Ralph Newbury. Since then, proceeds from the rent of the building have been used to fund the work of local charities.
In 2004 twin brothers Iain and Scott Ganson decided to prove that food of an exceptional quality could be served in a pub without turning the local into a restaurant.
The kitchen at The Bell produces the food that we all wish we had time to make at home. Fresh bread baked daily, homemade stocks and sauces, fresh seasonal produce using local suppliers whenever possible. This is ingredient led cooking with bold flavours and a rustic edge.
The Bell supports CAMRA’s LocAle campaign, which aims to support local breweries; most of the beers stocked at the bar are sourced within a 30-mile radius. The Bell is also a supporter of CAMRA’s campaign for real cider, with up to eight real ciders and perries always available straight from the cellar.