St James is situated in the heart of the Ruscombe Conservation Area. Originating in the 12th century, the nave and tower were rebuilt in 1638 and the north organ chamber was added in the late 19th century.
With a seating capacity of 80, the Grade 1 listed church is small, light and attractive. It is used regularly for smaller services and is popular for weddings and other special celebrations, while larger events and services take place at St Mary’s, Twyford.
The Anglican parish of St Mary the Virgin, Twyford, and St James the Great, Ruscombe, are joined with Twyford’s United Reformed Church in a Local Ecumenical Partnership. This means their ministers work as a team together with a youth worker and are able to take services in all three churches.
The church office is located at St Mary’s Twyford, which is also the first point of contact for the other parish in the benefice: St Nicholas Hurst.
A shared website gives full details of the history, mission, vision values and activities of all four churches. The website community is THRU-Christ, the name formed from the initial letters of Twyford, Hurst and Ruscombe and the U for the United Reformed Church.